If you are using Windows 7 then Magnifier is one of the cool feature that you should try out whether or not you actually are going to use it (by the way to get it, just type magnifier in the start menu search box). Although magnifier is a handy tool, I’ve noticed that it is notorious for getting stuck in the ‘docked mode’, which I should say is the view mode which I like the least. Once this happens, then there is no way to change to other more better modes like the full-screen mode (which is my favorite). I’ve had difficulties in the past trying to figure out a way to get my other modes working and, I must say, it took me a long time and a lot of search keywords to find a fix for this problem (all thanks to posts in the Microsoft Answers forum).
With a small change in the windows registry, you can get back the functionalities of all the different viewing modes of magnifier. Here’s what you should do:
1. Close the magnifier if it is opened.
2. Sometimes if you had set the Aero theme to active, it will be automatically disabled after the magnifier locks itself in the docked-mode. So if you want to get your aero theme back on, just type ‘find and fix problems with transparency and other visual effects’ in the search box in the start menu and follow the troubleshooting process.
3. Type ‘regedit’ in the start menu search box and click the result. This will take you to the windows registry.
4. Expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER by clicking the arrow next to the folder icon
5. Find ‘softwares’ and expand it as done in the previous step.
6. Find ‘Microsoft‘ and expand it. Then navigate to ‘ScreenMagnifier’ and click it.
7. On the right side, among the several entries, double-click on ‘MagnificationMode’
8. In the pop-up window, set the ‘value data’ as 2. Click OK, and close the registry editor
9. Open Magnifier.
10. Sit back, relax and enjoy! Now you can change the views from, well, ‘views’.